- Don't take advice from anyone who has not done what you are trying to do. You are going to get tons of advice throughout life. The key words you need to listen for when anyone is spouting off are, "Here is what I did in a similar situation." I listen to what everyone has to say but, in my experience (see what I did there), I will take advice from someone who has already been where I am headed. Prioritize that advice above the other 50,000 people who might have good ideas but haven’t been where you want to go.
- Don't underestimate what you bring to the table . You are smart. You have an expertise in some area. Whatever you’ve been doing you’ve been getting better at it every day. No one sees the world like you do so someone out there will want to "pick your brain." Let them. But set a price. Whatever you know, your time and information are even more valuable if you put a price on it.
- You never get in trouble for what you do. You always get in trouble for what you say. I bend the lines morally, legally and ethically so I know how it is. I’m no judge. But let me just tell you this much. If you are doing something sketchy, keep your cards close to your chest at all times. Never put into an email or in writing what you can talk about over the phone. Trust no one. I will stop there on this one.
- Always stand up for yourself . When I was a kid I never backed down from a fight. As it turned out, I got beat up a lot. But anyone knew that if you came at me you were going to get hit back and I got a lot of licks in, for sure. In business you fight with your mouth and your checkbook. In my business I never back down.
- Surround yourself with people more successful than you. Sure, I have friends that are not ballers, but the majority of people I hang out with are really successful people. Most of them actually have more successful businesses in action than I do.
- Do what others are willing not to do. If someone made me narrow it down to one piece of advice it would be this. It’s the thing I keep coming back to, which in my life has made all the difference. Work harder than someone else is willing to work. Plan Better. Bend the lines legally, morally, and ethically. Take calculated risks. Understand what you can do that others CAN’T or WON’T do—and then do that, too!
Nothing's Changed But My Change