Isolates = smallest units of behaviour
What do I need to know in order to make this decesion? What are the major benefits, and how do I quantify them?
Everything you do is the product of a mental habit
My mind is a laboratory
Associated = in the action
Disassociated = separate and watching the action distantly or apart
You can change how you think
“The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.” William James
Our brains simply do not know how to put things into negative language. Saying “ don’t think” automatically makes us think of it. In order for our brains to not think of something, our brains have to think it.
Instead of saying what you don’t want to do or what you don’t want to think about, think about what you do want to think about.
Make what you want to do and what you think into a positive statement
Increase the mental vividness of what you want to do in order to make it more attractive to you.
Associate into these successful behaviours and mentally rehearse them so they feel natural.
NLP suppositions ( people work perfectly);
- the map is not the territory - our mental map of the world is nt the world and can be changed
- experience has structure - thoughts and memories have a pattern to them - we can change the pattern and change the experience
- if one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it
- mind and body are parts of the same system
- people already have all the resources they need
- you cannot not communicate
- the meaning of your communication is the response you get
- underlying every behaviour is a positive intention
- people are always making the best choices available to them
- if what you are doing isn’t working, do something else, do anything else
For the map is not the territory - as you go through time, the map and the world start to separate.
You can take an old situation, something you feel bad about, and restructure it, change the background, put music to it, put a frame on it, and you can change it by conveying the opposite feeling is conveyed.
Every image, sound, or feeling is a resouce somewhere for something.
Talent is simply a set of resources that have been combined, sequenced, and practiced until tey become automatic skill.
Circle of confidence - imagine a time when you were in the zone and relive it mentally, capture it in a circle and think that circle when the feeling is needed.
Use mentoring - basically modeling on successful examples of what you want to accomplish
How people think about something makes the crucial difference in how they will experience it.
Read up on Dr. Milton H. Erickson, MD - founder of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. Master of hypnosis, he could induce a profound trance just by telling stories.